This year I was able to attend a professional development that made me think, what do the children in my class see as important? What do they think is important to me? What do they think about learning? I was curious to see what the children thought about our class, and environment, so I set them a writing task to find out.
What is important to Miss Zorn and our class?
- I think one of the most important things to Miss Zorn is kindness, the second is learning new things and keeping yourself healthy.
- I think trying your best, being happy and staying safe are the most important things to Miss Zorn.
- I think that Ms Zorn doesn’t want us to give up, it is important to her that we are happy and clever.
- One of the most important things to Miss Zorn is having fun.
- It is important to always try your best.
- We are important to Miss Zorn.
What does it mean to learn?
- I think learning is when you stretch your brain.
- Learning is when you develop more things.
- I think learning means never give up because if you do you will never get better at it. Learning also means that when you grow up you will be smart.
- You learn from your mistakes.
- Learning means to listen and to learn new things. It is also important to have fun while learning.
I have to say, I am pretty impressed with the insight of these seven year olds. I think the next question might be, what does it mean to think?
Try it with your class, let us know what they think!